When you decide to adopt a dog, you have to do some research in finding a breed that will be a good fit for your family and household. And families who are considering a German Shepherd as the newest member of their family should definitely think twice. We all know that German Shepherds make great police dogs but how can that translate into a family setting.
Well, it doesn’t which is why German Shepherds don’t make good family dogs.
German Shepherds are the very last breed that you should consider as a family dog. They can be vicious, disobedient, and too rough to have around your children. If you were thinking of adopting a German Shepherd, you should reconsider.
Here are 15 reasons German Shepherds make terrible family dogs:
1) They Are Hardwired For Work
These guys never take the time to rest and just hang out.
2) You Can’t Take Them Anywhere
They never sit still and you won’t be able to rest and just enjoy your surroundings.
3) They Can Be Real Beastly
Even when they are young.
4) They Never Let Down Their Guard
They act like they are always on duty.
5) They Are Always So Serious
They are not the type to have fun and goof around.
6) They Are Mostly Outdoor Dogs
They hate being inside.
7) They Can Be Dangerous Around Our Children
They Won’t Get Along With Your Other Dogs
German Shepherds aren’t the friendly type.
9) And Just Forget About Bringing Them Into a House With Cats
German Shepherds despise cats.
10) They Just Don’t Understand What It’s Like Being a Family Unit
They have no idea what family life is all about. They are totally clueless.
11) They Do Not Listen
Taking orders is not an option for these guys.
12) They Never Look Happy
They are very serious dogs and always have a stern unwelcoming look about them.
13) They Are Just Not Made For Play
Forget about having fun, playing fetch, and having a dog who loves playtime.
14) They Will Eat All Of Your Food
German Shepherds will eat your entire wardrobe.
15) German Shepherds Are Far Too Straight Laced For a Whacky Family
German Shepherds are really uptight. They wouldn’t know a good time if it hit them in the face and they just never get weird.
Just kidding! German Shepherds make fantastic family dogs and would easily become a cherished member in any home.